Phase 2- Upgrades/The Fireplace and mantle

Once we cleaned and painted all interior and exterior surfaces white, we decided to tackle the fireplace. The exterior chimney shows a lovely red brick on top of the house but the interior was another story. The main floor hearth and fireplace had been covered up with a hideous pink and grey fake granite block from the 70’s. The fireplace had no mantle but it did work with wood. The second story had exposed brick but no fireplace. Someone had painted the exposed brick lime green. It had watered damage so it looked a pink and green sponge painting. The situation was bad all around.

First off, we stopped the leaking by capping the top of the chimney with a metal cover. Next came the tear down of the “granite” blocks. This proved to be very important as we discovered they were listing into the room and not properly anchored to anything. We wanted to create a rustic yet classic fireplace so we attempted to recreate a real stone fireplace in the bar at the Skamania Lodge in the Columbia River gorge.

We decided the fireplace would not take the weight of real stone so opted for imitation. This allowed for the weight of a real fir mantle my husband hand crafted out of a salvaged rafter beam. This was our 1st salvage project. We loved the results and think we did pretty well with our 1st major renovation.

20140722-070508-25508646.jpg

20140722-070609-25569744.jpg

20140722-070734-25654699.jpg

20140722-070734-25654196.jpg

20140722-070753-25673249.jpg

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s