Once we removed the tub and shower surround, we planned on simply installing a new shower pan and putting up hardiboards to tile. Well as most best laid plans this one did not go as planned. Once we opened up the walls we discovered serious water and pest damage. A simple shower install turned into a four day rebuild of the entire side of the house down to the concrete foundation.
We decided to rebuild the beams, sub-floor and full dimension walls. This took considerable time but proved to be a smart move. Now we have a totally new structure to place our shower. We also installed a new window. Surprise find was a 1953 Oregonian under the cabinet behind the shower. Featured article on Oregon State Fair and modern house features-how ironic is that!